Linux Graphics Users
March 28, 2024, 08:07:10 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Please refrain form posting on this site

Home Help Search Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

"save as" .... "unknown file type"

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "save as" .... "unknown file type"  (Read 1911 times)
woodsmoke

View Profile
« on: January 17, 2008, 11:53:28 am »

Hi
I have never been able to get GIMP to save a file from a scan.

I can easily scan through GIMP...it does a marvelous job.  I can then select, crop you name it, but when I then try to save or save as.... such as a jpeg or a png, I get a box that says something to the effect of..."cannot save, unknown file type".... this is a GIMP information box, it has the fox symbol, not a scanner information box.

I usually "copy" and the "paste" into another application like KoulorPaint to be able to save it.

It seems, in my fuddy duddy brain, that I read something about this a year or so ago... but can't remember what it was....is there just something that I'm not doing to the image that will make it saveable or what?

thanks ahead of time

woodsmoke
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Sawer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2008, 06:42:30 pm »

Woodsmoke: Are you doing a save as or an export? I'm at the wrong box right now I can't check it out, but I think save/save as native file ext you need to export to what ever you want after that I think you can do a save/save as in that file ext. This would be true for what ever graphic program that you are using.

Woodsmoke just an update to this post. I did a scan using Gimp and xsane and had no issues saving the scan, I choose jpeg for the file ext but think would work in any of the choices. Don't know what to tell you, there is a place down at the bottom left that is a drop down where you choose your file ext have you done that?  I'm assuming you are working out of Klikit as I am. What scan client are you using? My scanner would work in kooka only xsane.
On a side note it looks like IRC #Klikit is no longer there, can you get on YIM? if so maybe we could work it out that way let me know via e-mail as to time.
Sawer

You can try getting me at YIM Sawer or PM though Klikit
« Last Edit: January 19, 2008, 11:16:53 am by Sawer » Report Spam   Logged

SiathLinux

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2008, 12:34:15 am »

Hi
I have never been able to get GIMP to save a file from a scan.

I can easily scan through GIMP...it does a marvelous job.  I can then select, crop you name it, but when I then try to save or save as.... such as a jpeg or a png, I get a box that says something to the effect of..."cannot save, unknown file type".... this is a GIMP information box, it has the fox symbol, not a scanner information box.

When you save as - you have to TELL GIMP the file type, so if you don't tell the file type - it becomes unknown - there is a drop menu to choose or you can just .jpg on the name space ... Cheesy

I usually "copy" and the "paste" into another application like KoulorPaint to be able to save it.

It seems, in my fuddy duddy brain, that I read something about this a year or so ago... but can't remember what it was....is there just something that I'm not doing to the image that will make it saveable or what?

thanks ahead of time

woodsmoke
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMFFree.com - Create your own Forum