Linux Graphics Users
March 28, 2024, 11:45:48 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Please refrain form posting on this site

Home Help Search Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

How do you rate Pencil?

Poll
Question: How do you rate Pencil
Awesome!! "I Love It" - 1 (100%)
Good - 0 (0%)
Fair - 0 (0%)
Awful - 0 (0%)
I can't find my pencil... can I borrow yours? - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 1

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How do you rate Pencil?  (Read 6436 times)
geminiguy
Founding Member
Administrator

View Profile
« on: January 22, 2008, 09:35:33 am »

Tell us about your experience with Pencil Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Sawer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2008, 09:31:15 pm »

I'd like to change my vote. This program stinks, it keeps popping up save as option every 45 seconds to 1 minute, I haven't gotten any answers from the forum. When I first looked at it I thought this is going to be fun. there isn't anything in their man pages or how to. They can keep it.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2008, 09:06:22 am by geminiguy » Report Spam   Logged

geminiguy
Founding Member
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2008, 01:44:40 am »

The program is still in the early stages. This is the "read me" file.
 I think this program will be a good choice to see what this forum can be used for..
 Here, we have a new program, buggy, but a great concept as a whole... This is a site where users of Linux programs come to talk on apps, help one another, etc... maybe eventually, someone will come along and work-out the bugs here n there...and Pencil will be on it's way to become one of the better programs out there? Smiley
 I guess I'm looking at it as a prototype to see if this forum can bring results I'm hoping for Grin
 I will assure you, that Pascal is still working on it with the help of some others. He's not a programmer, so that being so... I think he did a pretty good job so far. The program is actually grabbing quite a bit of attention already.
 Report the bugs, keep an eye on the forum / help forum... be patient for a response, it will come...

* Read Me file from pencil.png (108.25 KB, 1280x1024 - viewed 477 times.)
« Last Edit: January 30, 2008, 09:11:07 am by geminiguy » Report Spam   Logged

Sawer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2008, 09:34:44 am »

I've found out that the Mac version .04 has a place in preferences to turn off the auto save. Not being a programmer at all I'm not sure how to get this to work in the linux version. I've tried in pencil config to add autosave=off, autosave false and auto save=no none seem to work. there doesn't seem to be any files that show anything about autosave or anything like that. I'll keep messing with it to see if I can't get something to work. I still think this is a good program if this bug can be fixed.
Report Spam   Logged

geminiguy
Founding Member
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2008, 09:46:02 am »

Thanks Sawer... glad to see you still working on it. It is a nice program. Those were excellent attempts (always start with the most obvious) Wink I wonder... does the Linux version have the option avail in the gui? If not, that may need to be added in both areas to function? a link to a gui function? if that makes any sense.. Roll Eyes Tongue
Report Spam   Logged

Sawer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2008, 12:50:09 pm »

Geminiguy: That's what I was looking for, there aren't very many files to work with. I'm mainly a user so don't know much about a lot of this stuff. I'm going to download the mac file to see if I can get into it to take a look as to what may have to be changed.
Report Spam   Logged

geminiguy
Founding Member
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2008, 02:01:30 pm »

Sounds good. You're definitely quite thorough.
 Another thing to try, might be to look over the Debian rpm files to see what is in there too? (you may have already done so... just asking)
 I'm not sure how it's running in Debian i.e., if they're having the same bugs??
 I'm gonna visit the forums to see about that.
 (are you getting some improved interaction on their forums now?) Wink
Report Spam   Logged

Sawer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2008, 04:00:46 pm »

The reply window is working today, almost half the time it won't open. I've found out what should be there but can't find were to put the command almost all the files are binary so nothing can be done with them without corrupting the program. I don't know enough to install from source without more info. Guess we will have to wait until someone writes.04  I was hoping we could edit the conf file and get things to work.
Report Spam   Logged

geminiguy
Founding Member
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2008, 10:37:13 pm »

It is a frustrating subject atm... I'm sure for Pascal too. He knows what he wants and wants it to do, but he is not a programmer either. Perhaps I can try to get some devs interested in it. Which in itself is a difficult process... ( I know this as I am still trying to do the same for xara lx)
 But I have to be careful not to over-nag or they just completely shut you off. It's just like trying to find people to work on any project... you have to go in knowing exactly what your looking to ask, as well as have "the" right answer to everyone of their questions.... one of the first being  "and, I would want to work on this project.... why??"
 Ya gotta "pitch" it, just right... or they just move onto something more interesting Wink

This "will" be a great, useful, and fun tool... it's still fresh and often it takes time for programs to really catch on.... I just hope Pascal has the drive and endurance to ride out the test of time, and not lose interest and abandon it entirely. I have a page full of such projects... and some of them are pretty awesome, but have been abandoned long ago and noone to even get in contact with. It's all just part of the game, and you either play to the end... or quite before you know who's won.

What I really admire.. is the fact that you have determined to stick with it, and have actually gone beyond the average user and made 100% and honest effort to help squish some bugs... You didn't just quit and say the heck with it, when it didn't "just work" for you... I think you're really cool for this Smiley
 It's users like you, who help prove to devs and others that there are those of us who are at least trying, and not just nagging to them about what doesn;t work... when are ya gonna fix it, etc....
 And I'm glad to have users like you around here....

Thanks Wink
Report Spam   Logged

Sawer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2008, 11:06:53 am »

Thanks for the kind words. I'm a hands on kind of guy and like to learn how things work. I wish that the src was sent up like most other source files so I could see the info clearer. It looks like the Pencil package is setup for Mac's and I don't have a clue to there file structure. I'm going to try and get some help from the Klikit forum, they are great at helping. Pencil does somethings that I haven't been able to get to work in Linux  before, like my pencil/stylus works with pressure and when I turn my pencil over the eraser works the way it should, I also like have both bitmap and vector in the same program. All in all this can be a great program with a little more tweaking.

Report Spam   Logged

Sawer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2008, 03:39:27 pm »

I see you have posted in the pencil forum that you are trying to get someone to build an rpm, if you get one I can turn it into a deb real easy, in the mean time I'm still try to build from source but there seems to be a missing file that would allow linux to compile it, no configure file. Right now I'm only getting a partial build. I haven't been working very hard on it as there seems to be a lot of errors and stuff I don't know but will keep trying, one of these days it will fall into place.
Report Spam   Logged

geminiguy
Founding Member
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2008, 08:58:30 pm »

If it can't be compiled, it can't be worked as an rpm so, I guess we'll just have to see what happens down the line Wink
Report Spam   Logged

Sawer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2008, 07:33:26 am »

I found a post on the Pencil forum about compiling for Linux. I sent a reply asking for help or asking if sciboy would compile 4.4b. Hope I get an answer from them soon. Have you been able to run 4.3? You can convert the deb to rpm and then install it if you haven't done so. Don't give up things will get worked out for us.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMFFree.com - Create your own Forum