Linux Graphics Users
March 29, 2024, 04:32:49 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: as this site is only used as archives (yet still moderated)

Home Help Search Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

looking for someone to modify primitives mod an OGRE room

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: looking for someone to modify primitives mod an OGRE room  (Read 3529 times)
woodsmoke

View Profile
« on: February 11, 2008, 05:06:22 pm »

Hi
Well, evidently I started from the wrong place, I've been trying to convince the "folks at the top" that our/my project is worthwhile and worth getting some folks to work on, but apparently noone can see the big picture....

So....like they say down in the hills, if you want a house built hire a carpenter and forget the architect.

we/I desperately need someone who can "modify" some primitives to modify some primitives..... think take a round primitive and put a skin with "holes" or "dimples" on it...bout as simple as that...

we/I desperately need someone who can "mod" an OGRE or "CounterStrike" room to put a "skin on it"....nothing fancy, maybe make it 6 sided instead of four sided and then place the primitives so that can be shot at...

This is an "educational" thing....something that we think can truely revolutionize the education "scene".... if we can get it done, then we will rent a VERY SMALL room at Second Life for folks to enter and go from there to "the room", if there is good response, then put something up at YouTube...

We really do want this to be a "shining example of how the open source model of software development" can work....

If the proof of concept works, then a much more extensive version of it will be released under FOSS/GNU, and then schools can have students(hopefully) make primitives and room mods to suite particular situations, or...pay someone...

RELLY.....HELP!  Grin
woodsmoke
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

geminiguy
Founding Member
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2008, 08:49:53 pm »

Something resembling a virtual trainer for police / military training?
 Could you provide us with any links to the software & sources?
Report Spam   Logged

geminiguy
Founding Member
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2008, 09:12:21 pm »

Wow... I just checked out a site for counterstrike..... I had not realized how serious, so many people are about this stuff Shocked There are actually "teams" which compete against others... worldwide.... and actually rent expensive houses to live together to practice, etc..... To me it is incredibly pathetic, people who's entire lives revolve around playing video games Tongue And thousands who pay to go watch them play, as if it were the Olympics or somethin??!! Huh
 I could see if it were actually runnin round in the woods or an old building playing paint-ball... but just for fun.... These people are like a bunch of tards. I'm sorry if that offends anyone here but... I mean "come on".... get a life Roll Eyes Do any of these people have families or anything??? I cannot relate nor connect to people who are on that level.... I guess I'm just too old (although there are people in these pics who look older than me)
 I'm scared Sad

ANyway, post some links to some info which will give people an idea of exactly what you are looking for... If noone here is able to help... I can at least try to help you get the word out to someone who can Wink
 Have you tried posting on any of these freaky / video gamer's cult forums?? Grin..... (I said cult) hehe
Report Spam   Logged

woodsmoke

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2008, 11:41:26 am »

Hi
there aren't really any "links" to anything. this is all off the shelf stuff, nothing new, the difference is in how I would put it all together.

Here's an example of a primitive that has been rendered 3D that is not true 3D in other words there is no "back" to it.  The primitive could have one side "with a skin on it" or something, to make this appearance, but the "player" would expect to be able to walk "around it".

Round Primitive

As to "rooms" there are literally hundreds of them for purchase.  I got suckered into spending a year with a guy that said he could put all this together and bought a couple of them for him, but like I said, I wasted a year on it....

DAZ 3D

And, I'd be glad to buy another one for someone to work on,  The problem is not "the room" the problem is understanding the software and all it's nuances. 

Actally, though, for someone who is "IN" to this, they don't even need one of the above "rooms" all I need is either a "half of a sphere" on the ground.  In doing this stuff the "sky" is half of a "ball" that is "sitting on" the ground, and the ground is just a flat surface.  These can then be modified by people who are familiar with the tools.  The "room" can just be a "box" sitting on the ground. The inside of the box has surfaces which can be rendered.

I understand all about "how" it is supposed to be done, I just can seem to "do" it.... you know what they say about teachers, those who "can" ..."do"...and those who "can't" ..."teach".... well, that is me in terms of this stuff.  I can actually "draw" on paper, and have "won" stuff, but, I can't seem to wrap my mind around this...

So... if you know somebody that knows somebody.... I'll be glad to buy primitives, if that is needed, or maybe there are "rooms" and "stuff" about which I don't know...

Thanks for the comment.... I can use all the help I can get.

woodsmoke
Report Spam   Logged
dadster
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2008, 05:22:40 pm »

Hi woodsmoke,

This sounds like a great project you're involved in. Wish I knew how to do what you need but unfortunately this is way over my head.    However, my 18 year old son is into 3d graphics and is on a counter-strike team.   I'll ask him if he can help.   

Dadster
Report Spam   Logged

Usually I try to take it one day at a time, but lately several have attacked me all at once......
geminiguy
Founding Member
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2008, 10:16:59 pm »

Thanks Dad....
 Nothing better than slave labor Cheesy
 This subject Wood has brought up, is actually a great idea and I know that these theories are shown to have a positive and astounding affect within the field of education in Europe. It would be nice to see it pushed further (especially in the US, where our kids need all the help they can get Wink)
 I hope this works out. I will read up when the time permits on the subject and try to assist in whatever way I can. My time is just a bit tight for the next couple of months to jump into any new projects.
Report Spam   Logged

woodsmoke

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2008, 10:57:24 pm »

Hi folks, I know it's been a while but I've been busy.

Dadster, if he want's to help, a bunch of us have been discussing how to give him "credit" that will be lasting, so that he could build a portfolio as it were.  If he needs "tools" we can get them for him through the net, I've already spent money and months on trying to use DAZ and have gotten NOWHERE, I would be glad to buy him some software if he can get some "basic" workups so that I can view them somewhere to see if we are on "the same page"..

I've bought a membership at Second Life and property.  I've also spent two days there getting used to the place.  Tomorrow I'm going to sign up for "seminars" on how to "morph" "primitives" and "add textures"... .the primitives are the normal ones, cylinders, cones, cubes etc.  These can be "stretched" etc, but the "meat" of it, if one is working "in Second Life" is "scripting" apparently lines of code that can be added to a "primitive" that give it texture, etc.

However, they said, that one can "learn" it in a few hours, but to do it well takes many more hours but noone will want to look at it, to get it to be really good takes many hours...

I'll work on it, but basically, I'm older than dirt, I know how to teach but not do this stuff...

There are many files that can be imported from GIMP, Blender, Maya, 3DSMax, Animation Master, many others....

Targas, "obj" "kmz" etc.  are files that can be imported, among others.  Apparently many of the programs can be used to make objects that can be imported and that is the recommended way to do it.

So.... after looking at buildings in SL, I've modified what is needed.

What is needed are:
a) 3 "oblong" rooms, arranged, as seen from above, and facing the building as an "upside down U"....
b) if one is standing on the ground, looking "into" the "U" as if you were holding a "horseshoe" in front of you and with the "legs" of the U toward your face... is a "courtyard".
c) an "arch" between the legs of the "U" and over the "courtyard" to form an "entrance arch".

a) The oblongs would need a "texture" on the inside and outside of the walls, floor inside and roof inside.
b) the courtyard would need a 'floor" and an "object" like a sculpture, fountain, maybe a table and chairs(the avatars can sit in chairs) These are readily purchaseable from places like DAZ if someone wants me to do that, but there are also probably versions in SL that can be modified.
c) the "arch" is probably a pretty important thing, because the building is "probably" going to be "along a street" and there are a LOT of really GREAT buildings that have had exteriors designed by folks using DAZ artwork and also there are at least two real architectural firms that the bigshots use to build their buildings for a web presence.
it does NOT need to be...."IMPRESSIVE"....it just needs to make a "kid" turn his or her head and say....now "THAT" looks interesting.
d) some "picture frames" into which a teacher's "art" in terms of a .bmp, jpg, etc, can be imported to use for teaching purposes, these would go on the walls in the rooms.

So...really not much, in terms of this is not going to be a "castle" or something with turrets, and flags, etc.

It may be that someone already has a "room" that would be perfectly acceptable, YOU folks are the artists with the touch or know someone, ... and that would be great!

One can get into SL for free, they just ask for an e-mail, and there are no spams etc.  It takes several HOURS to get yourself trained on how to move, etc.  I would recommend staying IN the training areas for at least 4 or 5 hours and that one touches ALL of the objects with information, they will give you a "card" to keep with information you can find easily later.

I don't know if one has to be a "premium member" to actually 'work" on stuff, I will try to find someone to ask tomorrow, but the premium membership is 9 bucks and I would gladly set up the account and pay for it while the work is being done, and if the person wants to take that over later then ok. I really don't know how it works at this stage.  However, there are "friends" there that can "share work", I'm going to check into that.

So.....again.....

THE WORK can be done with a commerical application, but open source would be great, but the "collaboration" of a "distributed" thing that will be then released to the world is what I want to try to get done.....then I just have to "use" it in a way that "works" to try to get a truly interactive method of teaching done instead of an old geezer standing in the front of a classroom boring people...

thanks for any help ahead of time!!

woodsmoke

Report Spam   Logged
geminiguy
Founding Member
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2008, 10:02:03 am »

Well, sounds like a great opportunity for your boy Dadster Smiley If he's up to it... and can perform the task at hand both he and Woodsmoke will benefit.
 Very nice negotiating terms Wood Wink
 I hope this can work out. Keep me posted, if Dadsters son cannot do it, I'm sure we can find someone who can, especially with such a generous offer on the table
Report Spam   Logged

SiathLinux

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2008, 11:45:58 pm »

Ok =

Let me get this right -\

You need a bunch of spaces - ie rooms of various shapes ... and you need them textured..

Let me introduce myself again

I am the Siath

I can make it happen... Cheesywww.siathlinux.deviantart.com
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMFFree.com - Create your own Forum