Linux Graphics Users
March 28, 2024, 01:16:33 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Our forums have moved to...

Home Help Search Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

Hello all!

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hello all!  (Read 5469 times)
Digitante

View Profile
« on: March 19, 2008, 03:52:23 pm »

Hi! For the record, my real name is Terry Hancock, and I am primarily a writer, although I am also interested in art and programming (nowadays I use Python for programming tasks).

I've been using Debian GNU/Linux as my primary operating system since about late 1999 or early 2000. I "upgraded" from Windows 3.1, after I had a look at Windows 95 and didn't like where that was going. Besides, I had used Unix systems as early as 1985, so there was a lot of familiarity to GNU/Linux for me. Today, my whole household runs Debian systems on our home LAN.

I have a science and particularly astronomy background, which underlies a lot of the projects I work on today, although I haven't worked as a professional researcher for years (I was a research assistant, not a PI -- there's not a lot of future in it if you don't have the PhD, and I don't).

In 2000, I started a project called The Light Princess, which was intended to be a Linux-based graphical adventure game based on the story of the same name by George MacDonald. This project was my first real introduction to graphics programs for GNU/Linux as well as to the Python programming language (although I have been doing both graphics and programming on computers since the 1980s).

I've written elsewhere about some of my experiences on that project: see (1) & (2), for example. From a project perspective it was not very successful, although I learned a lot. Periodically, I get a strong desire to start the project up again, but there's a lot of groundwork that has to be laid, and I have a hard time finding the time for all of it.

The avatar is original art -- this is a character design for a "science manga" that I was developing at one point. That project is kind of on hold. I was attempting to find a manga illustrator to collaborate with me on it, but based on the reactions I've gotten so far, I think I was going about it wrong, so I've decided to prioritize other projects and come back to it.

Although I started working primarily with Sketch (now called "Skencil"), most of my work in the last few years has been with Inkscape. I also make extensive use of Gimp, and I'm slowly but surely learning how to do 3D modelling in Blender.

I also do some graphics and game programming in Python. I am the current maintainer of the Python Universe Builder (PUB), which I've been working on an extensive refactoring for. I'm also (again very slowly) working on a graphical adventure game engine based on PUB, to be called "Universe". This is hosted on the Light Princess project site.

More recently, I started a project for embedding licensing and attribution metadata onto multimedia content, called Palimpsest. So far it only handles GIFs, and I'm working on PNG support. I hope to cover JPGs and OGG Vorbis, and then to move on to the high-level abstraction layer.

Which leads to my self-deprecating username "Digitante", contracting "Digital Dilettante".  Wink

Yeah. I do a lot of art-related stuff on the computer, but a lot of my projects are unfinished.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2008, 03:00:37 pm by geminiguy » Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

dadster
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2008, 09:30:59 pm »

Welcome Digitante,

I'm glad you found our forum. Make yourself at home.  We're a small group but growing.

Sounds like you've got a lot of experience with python and graphics in general so if you'd like, please check our posts asking for artistic contributions and feel free to volunteer your talent.  Also any input on the forum would be welcomed and greatly appreciated.

Dadster
Report Spam   Logged

Usually I try to take it one day at a time, but lately several have attacked me all at once......
Jaws

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2008, 10:36:51 pm »

Hey Terry, welcome.

I look forward to enjoying your contributions to the forum, especially with Inkscape. The time I put in with Inkscape is basically a hobby to keep me out of trouble, so drawing on your vast experience will, I'm sure, be helpful. Enjoy your stay.

Cheers
Report Spam   Logged
geminiguy
Founding Member
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2008, 08:17:57 am »

Welcome Terry
 We hope you enjoy the forum... Yes, it is a bit small at the moment, but we are growing and still working at it Wink
Report Spam   Logged

Sawer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2008, 04:09:17 pm »

My welcome as well, this is a smaller but needed forum, I also hope you stick around awhile.
Sawer
Report Spam   Logged

geekydude

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2008, 02:26:29 am »

Yes, welcome!

I'm one of those non-artistic people that has been requesting artwork for our new Linux distro.
But I've been popping in here from time to time to get to know these great folks better.

If you want to get to know me and the folks from my community who drop in here from time to time, most of us can be found in the Klikit-Linux (Klikit for short Wink ) community:

http://loscompanion.com/forums/index.php

It's a friendly place that does NOT require you to use our OS to be a member of the community.
So feel free to get to know us!  Grin

Nice to meet you.  Cool
Report Spam   Logged
Digitante

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2008, 11:14:36 pm »

Thanks for the warm welcome. I would've responded a little more quickly, but I had some problems getting the forum to recognize my password. I'm not sure what's going on, but among other things, Mozilla had (literally) stored "******" as my password.

I hope "vast experience" was intended as flattery and not a real expectation, because I'm not that experienced.  Undecided

I agree this is a necessary forum. It's natural that graphics on Linux, as with most other disciplines, will involve using lots of different applications in concert, rather than relying on single, monolithic applications. So, it's nice to have a place to discuss them together, and especially, using them in concert, which is what I usually need to do.
Report Spam   Logged
Jaws

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2008, 08:01:19 am »

I hope "vast experience" was intended as flattery and not a real expectation, because I'm not that experienced.  Undecided

Well I guess it's all relative. You got about 8 years, I got about 8 months experience in Linux and drawing applications. I'll be looking for your sage advice.  Wink
Report Spam   Logged
geminiguy
Founding Member
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2008, 09:37:49 am »

I agree Digitante... you qualifications will be a great asset to our community Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMFFree.com - Create your own Forum