Linux Graphics Users
March 28, 2024, 08:14:01 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Thank You

Home Help Search Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

Ktoon finally installed

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ktoon finally installed  (Read 3239 times)
dadster
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« on: December 18, 2007, 10:23:25 pm »

Finally got Ktoon installed. Grin Grin    Now to mess it up. Wink  I mean... now to see what it can do. Wink

Grin Bill  Grin
Report Spam   Logged

Usually I try to take it one day at a time, but lately several have attacked me all at once......

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

woodsmoke

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2007, 02:54:29 am »

Hi Dadster,

I read the above and thought I'd ask a question, I'm running Ubuntu Feisty, and looked for Ktoon in our repo and didn't see it.  Would you mind greatly posting upon what you are running it and how you installed?

woodsmoke
Report Spam   Logged
rnurick

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2007, 02:22:13 pm »

Can you share you insights on how you installed this?

I too was totally stumped in how to install this. I just have to say that there have been too many times I have tried installing Linux programs that I couldn't find using Synaptic, and would then try to do it manually, but due to some complexity beyond my understanding of installations, I end up quitting due to frustration, and miss out on some great software.

Personally, I think this is one of the drawbacks to Linux that has new users, like myself, up in arms about, but I haven't had bad experiences manually installing on all Linux programs. I have been using Linux for about 8 months now, and have settled on Granular Linux.

Anyway, here's what I did:

I started by downloading the program, then copied the ktoon-0.8.1.tar.gz file to my desktop. I then clicked on it the .gz file and saved it to my Desktop. I then clicked on the .gz file using Ark to export it to Desktop so that Ark would create a folder.

Next, I opened up a terminal session, became root, and I then tried to install the program:

Here's my session:

[roger@localhost ~]$ su
Password:
[root@localhost roger]# cd Desktop
[root@localhost Desktop]# dir
ktoon-0.8.1
[root@localhost Desktop]# cd ktoon-0.8.1
[root@localhost ktoon-0.8.1]# dir
3rdparty   Changelog        COPYING      INSTALL        Makefile         TODO
bin        config.h         doc          ktconfig.pri   Makefile.common
build.log  configure        Doxyfile     ktoon.desktop  scripts
build.sh   configure.tests  INSTALACION  ktoon.pro      src
[root@localhost ktoon-0.8.1]# ./configure
scripts/global: line 19: [: U: integer expression expected
scripts/global: line 80: -query: command not found
scripts/global: line 93: [: too many arguments
scripts/global: line 98: -query: command not found
 *  Using Qt:
 *  Checking for aspell... no.
 *  Checking for sound... no.
 *  Checking for gif... no.
 *  Checking for ffmpeg 0.4.9... no.
which: no ming-config in (/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/local/bin:/sbin:/usr/sbin:/usr/local/sbin)
 *  Checking for ming... no.

*  KToon is configured, if you want to clean configuration, execute 'make -f Makefile.common confclean'

[root@localhost ktoon-0.8.1]# dir
3rdparty   Changelog        COPYING      INSTALL        Makefile         TODO
bin        config.h         doc          ktconfig.pri   Makefile.common
build.log  configure        Doxyfile     ktoon.desktop  scripts
build.sh   configure.tests  INSTALACION  ktoon.pro      src
[root@localhost ktoon-0.8.1]# ./Makefile
bash: ./Makefile: Permission denied
[root@localhost ktoon-0.8.1]#

Okay, after trying to use the Makefile command, what are you supposed to do next? I didn't actually see any directories that allow you to go to another section to look for an install program. You can see in my session, I got one of those 'Permission denied' responses, and I was logged on as root.

So my question is, how did you actually install the program? Please share your insights and thanks in advance from a not-so newbie Linux user.

Much thanks in advance.

Sincerely,
Roger Nurick
Report Spam   Logged
geminiguy
Founding Member
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2007, 04:18:02 pm »

hang tight, I'm gonna respond to this shortly Wink
Report Spam   Logged

geminiguy
Founding Member
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2007, 09:23:33 am »

O.k. Woody & Roger,
 Here's the thing as current. KToon is not the easiest program to build from source, (especially if you're not a bit experienced with doing so) Dadster and myself are actually testing a packaged version for our friend (whom I will not mention unless he wants to be mentioned on it??)
 It took quite a bit if work, and we're checking it out. But, chances are... he would prob. like to get a few more testers involved... It's nice to have a few to keep the reporting and testing moving along nicely Wink All that much quicker to get the bugs out and what-not.
 Roger, I'm sure the best person to take a look at your build process would be this specific individual, and he could tell you what may be amiss there Smiley It "looks" o.k. to me, except you are missing some dependencies... i.e. the 'ming" items... I'll post a list of the required depends in a bit (I'm trying to pull about 3 feet of snow off my roof today Tongue)

Cheers
Report Spam   Logged

dadster
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2007, 01:07:47 am »

OK    Woody and Roger and anyone else that may want to take a shot at installing Ktoon.  First off let me be perfectly clear that this install worked for me but that doesn't mean you will have the same success.  If you choose to install this software, you do so at the risk of messing up your operating system.  I will not be responsible nor am I available for support as in trouble shooting any problems you may run into.
    I have PCLinuxOS 2007 final installed just to let you know what I'm running Ktoon on.  Here is the link for the Ktoon RPM and the 2 dlib RPM packages I installed using kpackage.
http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/pnemec/openSUSE_10.2/i586/
    You will have to download kpackage from synaptic repositories in PCLinux first to install them. Download the 3 RPM's to your desktop then using kpackage install the 2 dlib RPM's first then the Ktoon RPM.  Remember install at your own risk.

Dadster
Report Spam   Logged

Usually I try to take it one day at a time, but lately several have attacked me all at once......
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMFFree.com - Create your own Forum