Linux Graphics Users
March 28, 2024, 03:46:11 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Please refrain form posting on this site

Home Help Search Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

How do you rate CinePaint?

Poll
Question: What do you think about CinePaint
Awesome!! "I Love It" - 1 (50%)
Good - 1 (50%)
Fair - 0 (0%)
Awful - 0 (0%)
Is anyone gonna eat this?? - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 2

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How do you rate CinePaint?  (Read 9273 times)
geminiguy
Founding Member
Administrator

View Profile
« on: December 18, 2007, 08:09:53 pm »

Tell us what you like, or dislike about CinePaint Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

rm42

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2007, 04:03:58 pm »

As a photography enthusiast that works with raw camera images I have not found a better free alternative in Linux than Cinepaint.  The fact that it can use Adobe's color profiles is good, but even better is its support for 16 bits per channel.  That gives one a lot of leeway when editing pictures.  Here is one example.

This is what came out of my camera:

This is how it looked after adjusting it with Cinepaint:

I love being able to process the image all the way through in 16 bit mode, including the sharpening step.  I only go down to 8 bits for exporting as JPEG.

The problems with it are the clunkiness in the interface.  For example, why can't it remember the place where an image was opened from?  Instead, it make one have to path all the way back every time one wants to open another image and even to save the one already open (from RAW).  That is my biggest gripe I guess.  The other little things I could live with.  So, that is my take on it.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2007, 04:05:47 pm by rm42 » Report Spam   Logged
geminiguy
Founding Member
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2007, 06:12:48 pm »

Very nice. It will be great to have someone around who has experience with CinePaint. I myself had just seen it for the first time a few months ago and I am very interested in it Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

geminiguy
Founding Member
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2007, 09:43:33 am »

BTW rm42... could you put these up in the CinePaint gallery as well? Smiley Also an fyi.... I am slowly looking for local mods for each product board, and would like to try to get at least one mod for each with experience in the board they mod.... (are you interested)?
Report Spam   Logged

rm42

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2007, 10:51:11 am »

BTW rm42... could you put these up in the CinePaint gallery as well? Smiley
Sure, no problem.

Also an fyi.... I am slowly looking for local mods for each product board, and would like to try to get at least one mod for each with experience in the board they mod.... (are you interested)?

I would love to help, but I really don't have the time.  Sorry.
Report Spam   Logged
geminiguy
Founding Member
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2007, 11:26:44 am »

No prob.... it never hurts to ask Grin
We really look forward to enjoying future posts from you Smiley

and thanks for the gallery posts.... I was worried it would be a very long time to see anything related product but, I am grateful I was wrong Wink
Report Spam   Logged

rm42

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2007, 12:48:12 pm »

I posted a few pictures on the gallery.  I don't have a large enough size, fit for the gallery, of the one I posted on this thread since I am not at home (and my Belkin wireless router is giving me trouble connecting through ssh).  The ones there are scaled down to 1680 width so that if someone wants to use them as wallpaper they can.  I hope you like them.   Cheesy
« Last Edit: December 21, 2007, 12:50:56 pm by rm42 » Report Spam   Logged
rji

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2008, 03:27:28 pm »

The only thing I dislike about Cinepaint is that the Debian Maintainer seems to have abandoned it, the Debian version is stuck at 0.20 with several broken image plugins.  Thankfully, this is free software and the broken plugins work perfectly compiled from source Smiley
Report Spam   Logged
Digitante

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2008, 12:27:56 pm »

It would be nice if someone who's used both could talk about what distinguishes CinePaint from Gimp. I know it was a fork, and also that it seems to be preferred by movie makers, but I don't really see what it has to offer.

Why would I go to the trouble to learn CinePaint if I already use Gimp?

I'm turned off by the clunkier interface (looks like an older version of Gimp), but that's probably not a very fair assessment.

I didn't know that the Debian package was so far behind -- that's the version I'm using, so that may also be a reason for my lack of impression with it.
Report Spam   Logged
rji

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2008, 01:19:40 pm »

The big difference between cinepaint and the gimp is cinepaint's deep paint ability, gimp is limited to 8-bit color channels, while cinepaint supports 8, 16, and 32 bit color channels.  This allows a photographer to stay within the 16-bit color range that is supported by most cameras and printers without destroying color information.
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMFFree.com - Create your own Forum