Linux Graphics Users
March 29, 2024, 09:01:50 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Thank You

Home Help Search Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

Hi

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hi  (Read 3391 times)
woodsmoke

View Profile
Hi
« on: December 19, 2007, 11:40:15 am »

Hi
I'm a retired teacher, now teaching in a j/c who is moving his ....old.....moldy..... lectures...... to Impress..... also labs, "extended work" etc.  The big problem....and it is THE big problem with this type of undertaking...is artwork.

So....I'm here to learn, I've got GIMP down fairly well for working with "pictures" but I've never had much luck with Blender, etc.  It may be that I'm just too old and oriented to the "page" in terms of "doing" artwork, but I'm definitely oriented "3D" in terms of my thinking about art...

So...I'm here... it looks like it will be an interesting forum...

The use of black backgrounds is.....as we all know .....from the "professors" that like to let everyone else know just how stupid they are.... the use of black backgrounds is....welll......frowned upon.... after all.... Microsith said, in their original book on FrontPage.... which said NOTHING about how to actually USE the program...it was alll....about...."design".... MS said that the only "acceptable" background was.....white...

But, the black backgrounds here have been implemented very well I think..... its a "good looking site" about..."art"!  Grin

woodsmoke
« Last Edit: April 23, 2008, 03:00:59 pm by geminiguy » Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

MeeMaw

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2007, 03:34:49 pm »

Hi
.......after all.... Microsith said, in their original book on FrontPage.... which said NOTHING about how to actually USE the program...it was alll....about...."design".... MS said that the only "acceptable" background was.....white...

Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

But, the black backgrounds here have been implemented very well I think..... its a "good looking site" about..."art"!  Grin

I think it looks very good as well.....
(I'm a former teacher - not retired but not teaching.........)

Report Spam   Logged

MeeMaw
geminiguy
Founding Member
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2007, 10:15:49 am »

Hello Woodsmoke, and welcome Smiley
 My idea for using black, is to express the endlessness of possibilities Wink
 That.... and it was one of the choices for available themes Tongue Grin

Eventually, with the help of some very knowledgible friends, we will create our very own theme (or two) for our members to choose from. But only after the forum is set-up a bit better. Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

woodsmoke

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2007, 02:40:34 pm »

I think, and it's just my thought, that your first choice possibly reflects a future good set of choices!

I'm trying to get in good with the admins so I thought I'd fawn all over the place in my first posts...

Hey....how about Fawn as a color?

just a joke!  Grin

woodsmoke
Report Spam   Logged
JonC

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2007, 08:07:50 pm »

Hi Woodsmoke, glad you joined. Lots of familiar faces Cheesy
Report Spam   Logged

Registered Linux User #447237
Sawer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2007, 03:10:25 pm »

Hi woodsmoke seems I talk to you a lot. I just registered here looking for ways to get away from the MS what is it called OS entirely. Actually was over in Xara looking for a way to do the project we are working on.
Sawer
Report Spam   Logged

Digitante

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2008, 04:13:21 pm »

The use of black backgrounds is.....as we all know .....from the "professors" that like to let everyone else know just how stupid they are.... the use of black backgrounds is....welll......frowned upon....

That's really just another fad. Studies* have suggested that on an illuminated screen it is easier to read bright text on a dark background, while the reverse is easier on a reflective surface.

This makes a lot of sense, if you think about how "blooming" works in each medium. On an illuminated screen, overexposure tends to cause the white text to bloom outward into the dark page (which is readable) or to have the bright page bloom into the tiny area occupied by the text (which is NOT readable). The opposite happens to ink on paper.

The style issue here is that people are trying to mimic the appearance of paper. Which works on modern displays, because the resolution is of sufficient quality. But it isn't easier on your eyes.

What I have found to be the case personally is that bright-on-dark versus dark-on-bright text has a strong psychological connotation. The former feels more "informal", whereas the later is more "formal". So personally, I faver bright-on-dark for forums and other informal environments, and dark-on-bright for "official" documents.

Of course, I also have a bias for the old "bright green text on a black background" to mimic the old-style text terminals.  Cool

MS said that the only "acceptable" background was.....white..

No doubt you meant that to be ironic, but I'll just be dutifully snarky and say "Yeah, and we trust everything they say, right?"  Grin

*Haven't a clue which "studies", but this is what I've heard from reliable sources.**  Wink
**Okay, so it's total hearsay, but I still believe it.
Report Spam   Logged
geekydude

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2008, 02:31:26 am »

The use of black backgrounds is.....as we all know .....from the "professors" that like to let everyone else know just how stupid they are.... the use of black backgrounds is....welll......frowned upon....

That's really just another fad. Studies* have suggested that on an illuminated screen it is easier to read bright text on a dark background, while the reverse is easier on a reflective surface.

This makes a lot of sense, if you think about how "blooming" works in each medium. On an illuminated screen, overexposure tends to cause the white text to bloom outward into the dark page (which is readable) or to have the bright page bloom into the tiny area occupied by the text (which is NOT readable). The opposite happens to ink on paper.

The style issue here is that people are trying to mimic the appearance of paper. Which works on modern displays, because the resolution is of sufficient quality. But it isn't easier on your eyes.

What I have found to be the case personally is that bright-on-dark versus dark-on-bright text has a strong psychological connotation. The former feels more "informal", whereas the later is more "formal". So personally, I faver bright-on-dark for forums and other informal environments, and dark-on-bright for "official" documents.

Of course, I also have a bias for the old "bright green text on a black background" to mimic the old-style text terminals.  Cool

MS said that the only "acceptable" background was.....white..

No doubt you meant that to be ironic, but I'll just be dutifully snarky and say "Yeah, and we trust everything they say, right?"  Grin

*Haven't a clue which "studies", but this is what I've heard from reliable sources.**  Wink
**Okay, so it's total hearsay, but I still believe it.

All well stated points.

I use Lighter test on darker backgrounds on my own website for the same reasons.
It seems easier on the eyes.  Cool
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMFFree.com - Create your own Forum